Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Got Queries?

Happy Writer Wednesday y'all!

Queries. Gah!

There are lots of stellar posts out there on query basics, like this one from agent-turned-author Nathan Bransford. (Nathan's blog is a HUGE source of guidance on all things publishing. Highly recommended for writers.)

Kristin Nelson of The Nelson Agency also has great tips on her blog. Plus she made this fantastic video: 2 Quick and Dirty Tips on Writing Query Letters:



And the number one query resource IMHO? Queryshark by the sharky Janet Reid. HER BLOG IS AWESOME. She dissects query letters like nobody else, and her comments are query gold.

I'm no query expect, but here's my take: follow the rules (one page only, personalize for each agent, follow the agent's query guidelines, be professional and polite) but don't obsess. Because in the end, it's the hook and sharp writing that works. :) In case you're curious, my query for NIL (at least the heart of it) is on the Books page of my blog.

How's your query coming along? Been re-worked a dozen *cough* hundred *cough* times? Yup, been there. :)

If you need a fresh set of eyes, leave a comment below. I'll critique queries from the first three commenters who post. It will be public, like the awesome Mindy McGinnis's Saturday Slashes.

Here's the plan: if you're one of the first three to comment AND you want a query crit, shoot me your query by email to lynnesmatson@bellsouth.net. I'll email you back to let you know which day it's going up on the blog. My plan is to post the three crits over the next three days. :)  If you don't want a crit, no worries, and I'll drop to the next person on the comment list. :)

Query on! You CAN do it. :)

**As of Thursday, Sept. 13 at 2:30 pm, the query crit contest is closed. :) The three queries will be up on the blog over the next few days. Thanks for the comments y'all! Happy writing...

19 comments:

  1. After working so hard on my MS the query has been unfairly daunting for me. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,

      So glad it helped! :) If you want any feedback on your query, let me know. :) I'm happy to help, and if you want it private versus public, just say the word. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, please! I'll take it publicly. Did you receive the e-mail I sent earlier?

      Delete
    3. Emily,

      I didn't! My email address is on the Contact page--did you click on that link?

      FWIW, it's lynnesmatson@bellsouth.net.

      :) So excited for you! :)


      Delete
    4. Ok, it's been re-sent. First had an attachment, so perhaps it got sent to spam. This one doesn't. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. I'm on the umpteenth draft of my query letter and was at a loss on what to do next, these tips are helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad Carly! And like I told Emily, if you want any feedback on your query, let me know. :) I'm happy to keep it off the blog too if that helps. :)

      Good luck!

      Delete
  3. I'm on the umpteenth draft of my query letter and was at a loss on what to do next, these tips are helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People, take advantage of this opportunity! Lynne is one talented writer who knows how to get an agent's attention!

    xo tonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love ya Tonya! You are so sweet! Thanks for the shout-out!

      Delete
  5. Would I still qualify for a critique? I really really need one *puts on kitten eyes*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! :) Email me your query, and let me know if it's ok to use on my blog. :) If you want to stay private, that's cool too!

      Delete
    2. just sent email off - thanks again.

      Delete
  6. I have a college (early 20s) coming-of-age story that I can't seem to fit in the right category. The themes are adult, but the hero is immature...and I've had agents say "we don't do YA" literature without reading my submission. It's not YA lit, is it, if all the characters are out of high school? If you still have an opening, I'd send you my query letter.
    Thanks, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,

      Yes, you're in! Go ahead and send me your query.:)

      If the characters are out of high school, typically it's not YA. But that's not the defining characteristic. Writer (Steph Sinkhorn) explored what makes a novel YA and does a terrific job. Here's that post: http://maybegenius.blogspot.com/2011/04/whats-considered-young-adult-fiction.html

      Kristin Nelson has a great blog about the difference between YA and MG, which is not exactly your question but I think she does a great job of defining YA in the course of the video. Here's the link: http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2012/02/fridays-with-agent-kristin-episode-2.html

      Hope that helps Chris! :) ANd shoot me your query.:)



      Delete
    2. Thanks, I found my old letter which I've sent out a few times, and couldn't stand to look at it, so I rewrote a new one today. Hope I didn't email it to you without thoroughly thinking it out...

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that blog post kind of confirmed what I suspected. No more YA wording for me. Thank you.

      Chris

      Delete
  7. If you choose my query you can critique and destroy it on your website for your gain. I have no qualms with being your punching bag, if I get something useful out of it. As a writer, I'm noticing you can't have any ego/pride/self respect until somebody takes a bite on your project. Then you can grow a backbone and say, "I'll do this...but I'm not willing to cut that, or do this other thing."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise to be gentle.:) No destruction here, no human punching bags. :) Just honest, and hopefully constructive feedback to help y'all.

      And you're right--being a writer means putting yourself (and your work) out there, which can be tough. Yet in the end, after listening to feedback, you must trust your own writer's compass. After all, it's YOUR work. :) Go Chris!

      Delete